Tuesday, March 4, 2008

What Kind of Clutterbug Are You?

The items that constitute clutter are extremely varied and depend on the circumstances and personalities in each household. And there are several different categories of clutter, depending on the nature of a person’s “attachment”‘ to things, our research showed.

Emotional clutter has sentimental meaning but little financial value. It could include children’s toys or drawings, unused or unwanted gifts, school or university notes, or the personal possessions of absent loved ones.

Just-in-case clutter has little or no sentimental value but since it “might come in handy one day” it is kept for some time. Examples include old bills or bank statements, tools or stationery.

Bargain clutter is free or very cheap items acquired at sales, from friends or family or “by the side of the road”. Certain personality types tend to be especially attracted to bargain clutter.

Bought clutter consists of impulse purchases that never end up being used. It commonly includes clothes, fashion accessories and electronic items and is strongly linked to wasteful consumption.

Guess which I am before you click the comments and tell the world which you are.

From: unclutterer.com

3 comments:

stewardess said...

I'm a just in case clutterer. I never know when I'll need that empty shoebox or those spools or yarn, but I Might!

Aaron said...

I'm a half and half "Just-in-case" and "bought clutter". Although, the bought clutter is usually something someone else got me, or something I used heavily before, but has been outdated now.

stewardess said...

I just read LadyArden's post on their little city-wide clean up. I wonder if the folks @ unclutterer know about that? What a great way to get rid of stuff. Or get more! *grin*