Saturday, June 28, 2008

Wedding Traditions Part Deux

Giving Away the Bride
Remember that “Women’s Studies” class you considered taking in college? Allow us to summarize what you would have learned: All of our society’s gender issues stem from the fact that fathers once used their daughters as currency to a) pay off a debt to a wealthier land owner, b) symbolize a sacrificial, monetary peace offering to an opposing tribe or c) buy their way into a higher social strata. So next time you tear up watching a beaming father walk his little girl down the aisle, remember that it’s just a tiny, barbaric little hold over from the days when daughters were nothing but dollar signs to daddy dearest. And that veil she’s wearing? Yeah, that was so the groom wouldn’t know if he was stuck with an uggo until it was time to kiss the bride and too late to back out on the transaction. (There is also some superstitious B.S. about warding off evil spirits, but we think you’ll agree that hiding a busted grill from the husband-to-be is a more practical purpose.)

We are partaking in this one, only I'm having both parents walk me down the aisle. I haven't decided what their answer to the question, "Who gives this woman to be married to this man?" will be, but it will probably resemble the answer Daddy gave when Cube asked permission in the first place, "It's her decision." Maybe Mama says, "Her Father and I do." That seems fitting, especially since she's always said, "She's all mine and part Daddy's," since I was born. Or maybe the question isn't asked at all. I mean, who ever pauses to see if anyone objects to the union of the happy couple anymore? That's just a YouTube horror video waiting to happen!

Any suggestions?

2 comments:

Lori said...

Good question... I left "the question" out entirely because my dad refused to "give me away" I also had both mom and dad walk down with me. I liked that- kept us all calm and from getting all weepy! I think the action of walking from your parents to your groom is symbolic in and of itself without any verbal confirmation.

stewardess said...

LOL...that's funny. He wanted to keep you. How sweet! I went to a wedding last weekend and the father said a prayer for the couple at the "giving away." I thought that was sweet. At another friends wedding, both fathers blessed the couple at the "hand off." I really liked that.

[It does lengthen the ceremony though. You know how we CofCers like our services short and sweet. A shame if you ask me. Why pay all that money and spend all that time planning for 15 minutes?]