Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Twilight: the Series

Ok, so this isn't very well thought out or anything, but hey, it's a post! spoiler alert if you haven't read Twilight.*

I feel some sort of literary obligation to give my opinion of the Twilight series. I started blogging about the first novel that fateful day in October, and then: nothing. I know you haven't been holding your breath all these months, but still. I feel some sort of responsibility. I finished the series after several months and vowing to quit and never start. I'm sorry if you thought the books fab, but Bella's voice just got annoying in my head. Book 1 was interesting and new. I'd read nothing like it, but books 2/3 were just repeats of the same thing. I could have done without them. Granted, Stephanie needed them for "character development" (I use the term loosely) and to sell a couple of more books (plus movie royalties), but I could have done w/out them. In fact, in book 3, when B kisses J and decides she loves him / confuses him before an important battle, I almost threw the book across the room. Good thing I didn't, because I'm sure I would have broken the computer monitor (they're thick books!). I really did quit after part one of book 4. I couldn't handle this whole baby thing. A friend encouraged me to finish it. I'm glad I did. The very end was fun. I liked the resolution and defeating the Volturi (especially the way it was done + Bella's part in it). Maybe I just wish she'd become a vampire sooner.

*don't waste your time. Read Jane Austen instead. You know, Persuasion or Mansfield Park (one of the "less popular" ones.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Aw...so sorry you didn't like it. I was kind of hoping you would. Oh well. I have to agree with you about Jane Austen, though... ;)