Saturday, June 19, 2010

Painted Patio

Last summer, we bought the house.
Previous summer, we married.
This summer, I do nothing.
Here's the first nothing I did: a painting on the patio for a best friend. I set up everything on a Sunday afternoon and used the easel which my husband bought for my 30th birthday for the first time. It was a sweltering and relaxing afternoon. Luckily there was a breeze, and coupled with the heat, this allowed the paint to dry faster. I always hate waiting for the paint to dry. I'd been inspired just the previous day by our book club book Eat, Pray, Love (see below post) which spoke about words. I thought I had a word to describe the aforementioned friend, and when it was the topic of Sunday's sermon, I knew I had a winner.

James 2:12 speaks about the crown of life promised to those who love God and persevere under trial.

I also heard the quote, "Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held her ground."

Plus, this definition of self-discipline, which is a form of perseverance, "The key to self-discipline is to remember what you want."

They both describe my friend, as does the definition of this verb. Persevere: to persist in anything undertaken; maintain a purpose in spite of difficulty, obstacles, or discouragement; continue steadfastly.

The title of the painting? Mary's Word.

Romans: 5:3-5
Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings,
because we know that suffering produces perseverance;
perseverance, character; and character, hope.
And hope does not disappoint us,
because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit,
whom he has given us.

James 1:12
Blessed is the man who perseveres under trial,
because when he has stood the test,
he will receive the
crown of life
that God has promised to those who love him.