Tuesday, February 5, 2008

"Hey, I thought marty grass was only celebrated in New Orleans?"

No, that's not a type-o, it's a direct quote from a student of mine. Needless to say, our English lesson was interrupted by a mini-lecture on cultural awareness (and a French pronunciation lesson - the last part being free). Remind me not to discuss a holiday that incorporates sparkly beads and flashing girls with middle school students again. Here I am trying to educate them on Christian traditions, and all they want to know is how to get more beads. Lord, love 'em. I just discovered melted chocolate on my keyboard. I wonder where that came from? Perhaps, my own personal "Fat Tuesday" celebration? Luckily, enough youngsters were culturally/religioulsy* aware that they explained everything (saving me from breaking the "Thou shall not discuss religion in public school" law). We are now counting the days to Easter, but can't figure out what bunnies and eggs have to do with the resurrection of Jesus.**

*Is this a word? Did I spell it right?

**Tune in tomorrow to hear Jamal say, "I thought it was pronounced Hay-suess?"

3 comments:

stewardess said...

Oh, how I crack myself up!

Lady Arden said...

MM, did I mention that my sister-in-law is getting married on Good Friday? Apparently she was unaware of when it was when she picked it. Use a calendar people.

PS. I tell you what, most of my students celebrated M.G. in New Orleans. We had to do pupil checks and straight line tests to make sure they were capable of handling chemicals the day after returning. Scary to think how they made it back on the roads.

Aaron said...

Yeah, I think the bunnies and eggs were leftovers from the mashup of a pagan holiday celebrating fertility and the traditional "Christian" idea of celebrating the resurrection of Christ (which we should be celebrating everyday!).